With breath-taking routines, pulsating rhythms and an amazing light show all of their own, drum theatre group Spark! returns to Ashbourne’s streets to lead the 2023 Lantern Spectacular.
Following behind will be astounding animated puppet lanterns, newly created for this year’s event, plus hundreds of candle-lit willow and paper lanterns including old favourites the polar bear, whale, angel, gingerbread men and the fantastic Chinese dragon.
All will be carried aloft by local children and community groups, forming a procession nearly half a mile long!
The full Lantern Spectacular programme includes:
- Craft Fair in the Town Hall from 4pm
- Entertainment in and around the Market Place from 6pm
- The lantern procession starts from St Oswald’s Church at 6:30pm - the streets will be crowded so arrive early to bag your space.
- Street performers
- Many shops & cafés opening late
- Street food
- Charity stalls throughout the town centre and a market on Horse & Jockey Yd
- Santa's grotto at the Greenman pub
Town centre roads will be closed from 5pm. Car parks will still be accessible with free parking from 2pm. Why not arrive early, do some shopping and have a bite to eat?
The Lantern Spectacular is organised by the Ashbourne Christmas Group which includes Ashbourne Arts, Ashbourne Churches Together, Ashbourne Town Council and Ashbourne Retail Group.
If you would like to join in carrying a lantern, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (accompanied children from 7+ and adults of all ages - booking essential).
The best of the rest
There is so much more out there to see -we can't show them all, but here are a few....